skip to main content


Where Can I Learn More About Community Services, Schools for Children, English Language Programs, and Local Benefits for Ukrainians on Humanitarian Parole?

Posted on November 5, 2022

Welcome.US has put together guides for various cities in the U.S. to help Ukrainians learn more about state and local benefits, healthcare, health insurance, food assistance, schools for children, adult education, English language instruction, job training, and employment services. Visit the Welcome.US City Guides page to learn more. Read more

How Can a Ukrainian Individual or Family Sign Up to Be a Beneficiary under the Uniting for Ukraine program if They Don’t Know Any Potential Sponsors?

Posted on November 4, 2022

Ukrainians who want to come to the U.S. through the Uniting for Ukraine program but don’t have any contacts who can be eligible sponsors may sign up on the Welcome Connect sponsorship platform as beneficiaries at Welcome.US, found here: This platform matches interested sponsors with potential Ukrainian beneficiaries. Read more

Where Can I Find More Information about Entry/Immigration into Countries Other than the U.S. and Canada?

Posted on July 14, 2022

Please see this website for resources about immigration into Europe: Read more

Where Can I Find More Information about Entry/Immigration into Canada?

Posted on July 14, 2022

A Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) for individuals fleeing Ukraine has been established. More details can be found on this official government page:  For comprehensive information about immigration  for those affected by the situation in Ukraine, please see these other official government resources:  Read more

Where Can I Find Information about Social Services and Community Resources for Ukrainians Entering the U.S.?

Posted on July 14, 2022

The U.S. government does not offer any benefits or financial assistance to individuals who are here on a B1/B2 tourist/visitor visa. This visa is not designed for those seeking permanent residence or who are entering the U.S. for humanitarian reasons. It is possible that some municipalities have resources available for U.S. residents who meet certain criteria such as poverty or having minor-aged children. Certain private or non-profit organizations may offer individuals assistance with food, shelter, or necessities during their visit to the U.S. Here is a partial list of organizations and community groups helping displaced Ukrainians in the U.S.: Chicago:  Florida:  New York City:  Seattle:  New Jersey:  Connecticut:  Minnesota:  Miami:  Catholic Charities:  HIAS Resettlement Partners:  Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services:  Nova Ukraine Resources:  Temporary Lodging – I Can Help Host:  Temporary Lodging – Ukraine Take Shelter:  Temporary Lodging – Airbnb:  Read more

Should I Consult a Lawyer?

Posted on July 14, 2022

It is always advisable to get advice from a licensed attorney in the U.S. who regularly practices immigration law before starting any visa or immigration application. Read more

Do I Need to Have Family in the U.S. to Apply for Permanent Residence?

Posted on July 14, 2022

No, it is not necessary. There are other pathways for permanent residence, including employer sponsored and humanitarian (discussed above). We note that employer sponsored immigration is fairly specific and can be a lengthy process. Read more

What Are the Family-Based Visa Categories?

Posted on July 14, 2022

There are two groups of family based immigrant visa categories: Immediate Relatives and Family Preference. Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas are based on a close family relationship with a United States citizen (not a Lawful Permanent Resident). The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year. An “Immediate Relative” for immigration purposes is one of the following: Spouses of U.S. citizens (including same sex spouses) Unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of U.S. citizens Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen Parent of a U.S. citizen (U.S. citizen child must be at least 21 years of age) Although a fiance(e) does not fall into any of the above categories, a U.S. citizen can file for a fiancé(e) through a different visa process. A Lawful Permanent Residents cannot file for a fiancé(e). Family Preference Immigrant Visas are available for certain, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen, as well as some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident.  The quantity of such visas is limited for each fiscal year. “Family Preference” relatives for immigration purposes include the following: Unmarried son or daughter (age 21 and over) of a U.S. citizen, and their minor children Married son or daughter (age 21 and over) of a U.S. citizen, including their spouses and minor children […] Read more

How Can Ukrainians Apply for Permanent Residence in the U.S.?

Posted on July 14, 2022

Generally, there are three types of immigrant visa categories that can lead to permanent residence and resettlement in the U.S.: Family Sponsored Employer Sponsored (not discussed in detail here), and Humanitarian (discussed above in the asylum and refugee sections of this document). Each application is considered individually and varies in processing time. Note that, due to the tremendous backlog pre-existing before the war, applicants may wait months or even years for approval. Read more

Is a Non-Immigrant Visa a Pathway to Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship?

Posted on July 14, 2022

Generally, no. A non-immigrant visa is not designed to be a pathway to Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship. Read more

The content on this website is provided for general educational purposes only. It is not intended to be taken as legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This website and its content are property of the Ukraine Immigration Task Force and may not be reproduced in any format without written permission. By using this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use.

Learn more about how to use this site.