This article was updated in August 2023.

Many Ukrainians who entered the United States through the Uniting for Ukraine program are wondering how they might be able to remain in the United States after their humanitarian parole expires. 

Below is an overview of potential options that could allow certain Ukrainians on humanitarian parole to remain in the United States after their Uniting for Ukraine stay ends.

Photo by Sipa US, available at This image is being used for editorial purposes only.

Short-Term Humanitarian Protections for Humanitarian Parolees 

In the short term, there are 2 temporary humanitarian options available between the end of 2023 and 2025.

1.Temporary Protected Status (TPS) 

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration protection that is provided to nationals of certain countries who cannot return to their home countries due to an ongoing armed conflict, environmental disaster, or other dangerous conditions defined by the U.S. State Department. In August 2023, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced a redesignation of TPS for Ukraine for a second term. This opens new eligibility to Ukrainian nationals who arrived in the U.S. on or before August 16, 2023 and remain physically present in the U.S. continuously through October 20, 2023. Applicants must be physically present in the U.S. when applying for TPS. Ukrainians who entered the United States on or before April 11, 2022 and have been physically present continuously are also eligible to apply.

TPS is typically designated to a country for an 18-month term. However, each individual from Ukraine must apply separately, and application processing could take 6-8 months. Individuals who are granted TPS are protected from being removed from the United States through the end of the 18-month period (as defined by the official start and end date published in the Federal Register, not the date of the individual TPS grant). They are permitted to work if they receive employment authorization through TPS, and they may apply for travel authorization through TPS to leave the United States.

To learn more about TPS for Ukrainians, read our article here:

2. Re-Parole 

We have not yet heard if U4U parolees as a group will be able to apply for re-parole through a dedicated online process, but we hope to know more by winter/spring 2024.

For now, Uniting for Ukraine parolees can apply individually for re-parole to USCIS using the traditional method by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document and following all the instructions. Current processing times for re-parole applications via Form I-131 can be 10-14 months.

A request for re-parole requires the filing of a complete parole application package, evidence supporting the need for re-parole, all required documentation, and the application fee of $575. USCIS instructs that individuals who “need to remain in the United States beyond the authorized parole period to accomplish the purpose for which parole was approved … must file a new Form I-131 with all supporting documentation to request a new parole authorization.” They should select 1.e. in Part 2. of the application, which indicates “I am outside the United States, and I am applying for an Advance Parole Document.” They must handwrite “RE-PAROLE” at the top of the form before mailing it in.

Individuals who are unable to pay the application fee may file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, with their Form I-131.

We will continue to monitor options for Ukrainian parolees and will provide guidance on our website as soon as we learn important updates.

Long-Term Immigration Pathways for Humanitarian Parolees 

With respect to longer-term options, there are 4 potential pathways to permanent residence for Ukrainians who are on humanitarian parole. Not everyone will qualify for each pathway, and there are specific criteria for eligibility through these channels.

1. Family Sponsored Immigration 

This requires a close relative who is a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) to sponsor the Ukrainian national. There are two types of family based pathways: Immediate Relative (U.S. Citizen) and Family Preference (U.S. Citizen/LPR) .

Immediate Relative.  Immediate Relative immigrant visas have no limit to the number of visas that can be issued annually. Processing time is faster than for Family Preference, but the eligible categories are narrow. Ukrainians may qualify if they have a:

– U.S. citizen spouse
– U.S. citizen parent (only if the Ukrainian is under 21 years old and unmarried)
– U.S. citizen child who is 21 years or older

Family Preference. Family Preference immigrant visas are issued in limited numbers each year. Processing takes much longer than for U.S. Citizen immediate relatives — it could take years. Family Preference categories are:

– First preference (F1) – Ukrainian unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens;
– Second preference (F2A) – Ukrainian spouses and children (unmarried and under 21 years of age) of U.S. lawful permanent residents;
– Second preference (F2B) – Ukrainian unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. lawful permanent residents;
– Third preference (F3) – Ukrainian married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens;
– Fourth preference (F4) – Ukrainian brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age and older).

To learn more about Adjustment of Status through Family-Based Immigrant Visas, read our article here:

2. Employer Sponsored Immigration 

This requires a company, organization, or educational institution to sponsor the Ukrainian national (with a couple of exceptions). Note that humanitarian parolees are not be eligible to apply directly for most employment-based immigrant visas while they are on humanitarian parole in the United States. This is because humanitarian parole is not a sufficient immigration status for purposes of employment-based immigrant visas.

Thus, humanitarian parolees who leave the United States may be eligible to apply for employment-based visas to a U.S. consulate abroad. Alternatively, humanitarian parolees who leave the U.S. then are later re-admitted on a different immigration status (ex. TPS, visitor visa, student visa, temporary worker) could potentially become eligible to apply for an adjustment of status to an employment-based immigrant visa. This is a highly complex and emerging area of the law, so it will be best to consult an experienced immigration attorney who is up-to-date on Ukrainian immigration matters.

3. Diversity Visas 

To obtain a Diversity Visa, an applicant must win one of a handful of immigrant visas issued each year by the Department of State through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program lottery. The application for Adjustment of Status must be made by an applicant who is legally residing in the U.S. after winning the diversity lottery. To learn more about Diversity Visas (one of the few non-family-based immigrant visas potentially available to Ukrainian parolees), visit the State Department website: U.S.. Department of State Diversity Visa Program

Note that Adjustment of Status is not the same thing as Change of StatusAdjustment of Status is for immigrant visas that lead to permanent residence. Change of Status is for non-immigrant visas (ex. student, tourist, temporary worker) that allow individuals to stay for a temporary period. Unfortunately, humanitarian parolees cannot apply for a Change of Status to a non-immigrant visa without leaving the U.S. and going through the consular application process abroad.

4. Asylum 

This protection requires the applicant to meet precise legal criteria and win the case in immigration court in order to be granted asylum before applying for permanent residence. Individuals must apply for asylum within 1 year of their most recent entry into the United States. 

Ukrainian parolees may be eligible to apply for asylum if they can demonstrate to an immigration court that they cannot return to their home country because they have been persecuted there in the past or have a well-founded fear of being persecuted in the future because of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Applicants for asylum must prove that the persecution/harm is from their country’s government, or from a person or group that the government cannot protect them from. To be eligible for asylum, the persecution must also be significant, such as unlawful or political detention, torture, violation of human rights, physical violence, or some type of severe non-physical harm.

However, fleeing war or violence is not, by itself, a sufficient qualification for asylum unless the applicant meets the other eligibility requirements. Each asylum application is considered individually based on the applicant’s unique facts and circumstances. If an asylum application is approved, then the person with asylum can apply for a green card. If asylum is not approved, then the applicant will need to obtain a different lawful status in order to remain in the United States.

It is important to know that asylum applications can take 4-7 years to adjudicate due to the record-number of asylum applications already in the pipeline. There is also a major risk of being rejected — not only for Ukrainians but for applicants from other countries — so it could be beneficial to pursue multiple routes if an applicant seeks permanent residence in the U.S. To learn more about Asylum, read our article here:

Each individual’s and family’s situation is highly specific, so there could be other pathways not mentioned here. At the same time, not everyone will qualify for each of the above options. 


This information is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. By reading this, you agree that this information is not a substitute for legal counsel and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please note that we are not able to offer direct filing assistance or personalized legal advice through this forum. Please consult a qualified attorney to discuss your own situation and to obtain assistance with specific matters. If you do not have an immigration attorney, you may try contacting an attorney listed on this page:

This content may not be reproduced or published without our permission. Please contact us at [email protected] to learn more.