A child who is a minor (a person who is under the age of 18 years) must be accompanied by a parent or adult who has proof of Legal Guardianship over the child. Ideally, this should include the parent’s name on the child’s birth certificate.

The proof of Legal Guardianship must be in the form of a judicial custody order and should be translated into English. If the court order is in Ukrainian or any other language, Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) could refuse to accept it unless an interpreter is available to verify its content. Please note that a Power of Attorney is not an acceptable form of Legal Guardianship.

A minor child who is accompanied by a parent without proof of Legal Guardianship is likely to be separated from the parent and detained.