A person does not become eligible for any government benefits or public assistance just because they have been granted TPS status. However, some people may be eligible to receive certain benefits if they already hold a certain legal status, or if they are approved for a certain legal status while they hold TPS.

Ukrainian individuals (and certain non-Ukrainian individuals who last habitually resided in Ukraine) who have been or will be granted humanitarian parole by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security may be eligible for some federal benefits. These benefits may include cash assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income, health insurance through Medicaid, and food assistance through Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). If you are not eligible to receive these mainstream benefits, you may still be eligible for state government benefits or other benefits from a resettlement agency in your state.

For more information on federal benefits for Ukrainians who are granted humanitarian parole, please visit the previous section on Humanitarian Parole or this site: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/fact-sheet/benefits-ukrainian-humanitarian-parolees 

Some states or municipalities offer non-permanent residents certain benefits, depending on a person’s legal status. It is necessary to check with each state or municipality to find out whether it offers benefits.

Each state also has different laws about driver’s licenses. Some states allow licensed drivers from other countries to drive legally for a year. Other states allow non-permanent residents to apply for a visitor driver’s license by taking a test and obtaining insurance. Please note that a temporary or visitor driver’s license may not necessarily qualify as a state-issued form of identification.