When Customs and Border Protection (CBP) approves travel authorizations for Uniting for Ukraine (U4U) beneficiaries, the travel authorizations are valid for 90 days. However, some Ukrainian beneficiaries may face circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from traveling to the United States before their travel authorizations expire. For individuals who are unable to travel to the U.S. within the 90-day time frame, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides a method by which to request a one-time extension of their travel authorization.

If a Uniting for Ukraine beneficiary is unable to travel within the 90-day validity period of their issued travel authorization, they may be able to obtain an extension of their travel authorization. If their extension is approved, they will have an additional 90 days to travel to the United States.

A request for a 90-day extension must be initiated by the U.S. sponsor — beneficiaries may NOT request an extension on their own. Only sponsors who have filed Form I-134A on behalf of a Ukrainian beneficiary may request an extension of a previously approved travel authorization. A sponsor must request a separate extension for each beneficiary by submitting a secure message to USCIS through their online account. The request for an extension must be submitted no more than 30 days before the original approved travel authorization period expires and no more than 30 days after the original approved travel authorization period expires.

To submit a request for a 90-day extension of the Uniting for Ukraine travel authorization, the sponsor should follow these instructions from USCIS:

Step 1: Log in to the Supporter’s (sponsor’s) online account.
Step 2: From the top of the webpage, select the “My Account” drop-down menu and select Inbox.
Step 3: Click on the “New Messagebutton.
Step 4: For the subject, select “A case already filed online” from the drop-down menu. For the case receipt number, select the receipt number for Form I-134A (Online Request to be a Supporter and Declaration of Financial Support).
Step 5: In the message field, write a statement of your continued interest in supporting your named beneficiary who has not yet traveled to the United States, and indicate in the message that you are requesting an extension of the beneficiary’s travel authorization. Then click Send.

USCIS will review the sponsor’s request for a travel authorization extension and submit it, along with the named beneficiary’s information, to CBP to conduct additional vetting.

If CBP approves the sponsor’s request, the beneficiary will receive an email notification when the extended travel authorization notice has been posted to their account. For privacy reasons, only the beneficiary will be able to view their extended travel authorization notice in their online account. The beneficiary should notify the sponsor when they receive their extended travel authorization notice.

Only one request for extension per beneficiary will be allowed through this method. If the beneficiary cannot travel to the United States during the 90-day extension period, then the sponsor must file a new Form I-134A on their behalf, and the beneficiary must be approved for a new travel authorization.

Please note: If the beneficiary’s originally approved travel authorization expired more than 30 days before the submission of the extension request, the sponsor must submit a new Form I-134A on their behalf to obtain a new travel authorization.

For more information about requesting a Uniting for Ukraine extension for travel authorization, visit the USCIS Frequently Asked Questions about Uniting for Ukraine page here: